How well do our Freshman Seminars accomplish our learning goals for students? What do students think of their Freshman Seminars and Instructors? Check it out here…
- HOW ARE WE DOING?
- STUDENTS BROADEN THEIR ACADEMIC HORIZONS
- STUDENTS EXPLORE POSSIBLE MAJORS
- STUDENTS ARE INTRODUCED TO THE RESEARCH CULTURE OF THE UNIVERSITY
- STUDENTS LEARN IN A SUPPORTIVE AND CONGENIAL ATMOSPHERE
- STUDENTS HAVE CLOSE CONTACT WITH PROFESSORS & FUTURE MENTORS
- STUDENTS DEVELOP COMMUNICATION SKILLS THROUGH CLASS GIVE-AND-TAKE
- STUDENTS LIKE FRESHMAN SEMINARS!
- STUDENTS RATE THEIR SEMINARS AND INSTRUCTORS…
- STUDENT COMMENTS ABOUT THEIR SEMINARS AND INSTRUCTORS…
What do students say about their experiences in this year’s Freshman Seminars? (Note: these goals are also called “Student Learning Outcomes”
in some of the data tables) Check on a goal or tab below to see…
Was the topic of this seminar related to your major?
1. My knowledge and understanding about the subject matter has increased as a result of taking this seminar.
2. I want to take more courses in this field as a result of taking this seminar.
I understand how research might be conducted in this field as a result of taking this seminar.
1. I enjoy meeting students who have similar interests
2. I anticipate staying in contact with some of the students I met in this seminar.
1. Would you feel comfortable seeking help (academic or otherwise) from this instructor in the future?
2. As a result of taking this Freshman Seminar, are you more likely to seek help (academic or otherwise) from other faculty members?
1. The instructor encouraged students to participate in class discussions.
2. Students were encouraged to question or challenge the course material.
1. Would you recommend to your friends and peers that they enroll in a Freshman Seminar?
2. Would you be interested in enrolling in another one-unit seminar at a more advanced level in the future?
1. How would you rate the overall quality of this Freshman Seminar?
2. How would you rate the overall teaching effectiveness of the instructor?
*Over 95% of students enrolled in 2008-2009 Freshman Seminars found both their seminars and instructors good to excellent!!
In your Freshman Seminar you had an opportunity to interact with a faculty member more frequently than in larger classes.
To what extent, if any, did this more frequent contact with a faculty member
impact you or your feelings about your undergraduate education at UCI?
-I felt like I mattered more.
I felt like I was more than just a number and I felt that our professor really wanted us to learn and understand the material. He knew us on a name basis and that makes a huge difference.
-I felt that it was a wonderful way to get to know a faculty member and the level of dedication to us as freshmen was impressive and reinforced my belief that the majority of the professors at UCI do genuinely care about the students, or at least are very qualified to teach and add valuable research to the university. I am very happy with the quality of education I will receive here.
-It allowed me to see the importance of getting to know professors and faculty at UCI and how when done properly will allow me to be more prepared for graduate school and asking for letters of recommendation.
In your Freshman Seminar you had an opportunity for in-depth study of a single topic. How has this opportunity impacted your educational goals, including your thoughts about your academic major, and your interest in pursuing research opportunities?
-I am very interested in doing research, which was one of the reasons I chose UCI, and it opened up the different possibilities of research in other fields besides purely scientific ones, and I as I am interested in traveling abroad I want to further explore research opportunities in other countries, as well as different topics of research.
-This hasn’t really changed my educational goals or my major, but has taught me how to be at peace with my choices, and has helped me calm down. Freshman year is so confusing a bit hard, but with this class, I have learned how to start balancing out my life.
-It’s made me rethink about the ever-unanswerable question: what is art? And I feel that this class has been enlightening in regards to reaching towards a response. It’s made me even more interested in the field of art, even to the point of considering it as a possible career path.
Please use the following space for any specific suggestions or comments you would like to make about your Freshman Seminar or the Freshman Seminar Program in general.
-These are great seminars to find out if you have interests in other things besides your major. It also gives you an idea about things that you can be truly passionate about, that you never even knew you had the passion for. They are very interesting and good for anybody to take.
-This was a very enlightening course.
I enjoyed participating in discussions and I feel that I learned a lot from the exposure to my classmates’ perspectives. The small class size and frequent interaction with the Dean and Chancellor made this course very special; and as I result, I am motivated to become much more active in my community. I am honored to be graduating from a University that gives its undergraduates the opportunity to personally interact with such inspirational thinkers.